Helado in Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Ice Cream Maker Reviews on October 12, 2008

All the guidebooks touted Argentine ice cream as being the finest in the world. So, for the past few months while planning our trip to Argentina I’ve been anxiously awaiting the chance to try this deliciousness. Well, I’ve been in Buenos Aires for one week and sampled 5 different ice cream flavors at 2 ice cream shops and so far I’m a little disappointed.

I’ve had Argentine ice cream before, but in the U.S. Specifically, countless times at Dolcezza in Georgetown, Washington DC. At Dolcezza the ice cream was delicious. The flavors rich and fresh and the ice cream creamy. So, I expected it to be even better than this in Argentina itself.

Both the places I have tried ice cream in Argentina so far have been good, but not great. The helado consistency is bizarre. It’s creamy and icy at the same time. The taste is a little icy but the consistency on the spoon is creamy. Elastically is probably the best way to describe it. When I try to take a bite with the little gelato spoons the ice cream doesn’t break free but instead stretches out — much like cheese on a pizza. This in and of itself makes ice cream a little frustrating.

The flavors are good, but I haven’t had any that I would highly recommend. I’ll likely post some specific reviews in the near future.

One of the biggest disappointments is the price. Almost everything in Argentina is far cheaper than you would find in the States. You can get an amazing steak for $7-10 US dollars. An entire pizza (quite popular with the Italian influence here) is $4-7 US dollars. An empanadas — small cheese and meat filled pastries, 3-4 would equal an entire meal — are $1 each. So image my surprise when ice cream is the the same price, if not more than what you would pay in the US. One cone/cup is about $4 US dollars!

Now, I’m not exactly complaining. The ice cream could be terrible. Or worse yet could be non-existent. I guess I just had my hopes up.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Serving-Ice-Cream October 13, 2008 at 5:33 am

Glad you got to finally taste Argentine ice cream! It would be funn to travel the world and taste the ice cream in different countries!

boludo October 24, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Argentine ice cream is the best!!!! Obviously you didnt go to Volta or Freddo they are the bomb!!!!

Ice Cream Cookie Dough November 2, 2008 at 10:44 am

Argentine ice cream is the best! Its sooo much better than anything I can buy here in the states.

Iron Chef America November 5, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Its great experience tasting icecreams available in different regions. Each has different flavours hailing from that region.

????? November 16, 2008 at 6:54 am

????? ???????? ????, ???????!!

Ice Creamery December 15, 2008 at 11:41 am

I vote for Volta, amazing stuff they server there! rich, dense and creamy. *lick

Nicole Caverta February 14, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I saw this listed on weblogs dot com

India March 31, 2009 at 5:59 am

Hi Heather,

I noticed that you didn’t write an ice-cream scoop in quite a long time and that you loved brands which gave out free ice-cream. As Ben & Jerry’s free scoop day is approaching with the summertime, I was wondering if you wanted to write a post about the very new flavour of Ben&Jerry’s – ChocoMac (chocolate and Macadamia nut).

Furthermore, Geoff Wannacot, from Dorchester Dorset. who is an expert in miniature carving has carved a Ben and a Jerry, a tub, an ice cream cone and a cow with the Macadamia Nuts in celebrating of Ben & Jerry’s new Fair Trade Chocolate Macadamia flavour! Geoff spent a total of 38 hours creating all five sculptures in celebration of the new flavour which are just half an inch high, the Ben and Jerry’s heads were the most complex and each took around 10 hours for Geoff to carve.
below is a quote from Geoff himself about his carvings and work.

“‘I’ve been making minute carvings for years but never whittled with nuts before. At first the failure rate was high with pre-dried nuts, which had been slowly dried for weeks so I switched to moist nuts which proved more stable to work with. The difficult bit was thinking of a way to overcome the natural crack in the macadamia nut which kept splitting the nut in two, eventually I figured out that if I split it, dried it and glued it back into position it was ready to start carving into. The Ben & Jerry figures were the most difficult. The outline silhouette was marked and sawn with a jeweller’s saw before carving the fine detail, using scalpel and small jeweller’s files. The ice cream cone had to be adapted with a hand holding it, as the cone was too fragile without it. The ice cream tubs and the cone were mounted and turned on a lathe before the final carving.”

For the moment it is still brand new so I thought it would be of interest to you and your readers. Get bqck to me and please let me know if you need anymore information,

Best
India.

Tereso August 1, 2009 at 11:28 am

220 kms away from BsAs is a town called Pergamino, in the center of the rich green agricultural Pampas. There you will find THE best ice-cream I’ve ever tasted (and i’ve been around), it’s called La Fe.
Maybe an ice-cream is not the best reason for a 440 km detour, but just in case…

Charlie Smith December 25, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I find it entersting that you compared argentine ice-cream with an american store. It is not like American icecream as its ingrediants and method of making it is not the same. You would be making a similar error saying that a taco did not taste like a New York pastrami sandwich – two differernt animals.