Dove Mini Bars–A disappointing update

by Ice Cream Maker Reviews on September 29, 2011

One of my favorite ice cream treats has always been Dove Miniature Ice Cream bars.   They have just enough ice cream to them to be a delicious treat (at only 70 calories). And the chocolate coating is perfect.

It’s been awhile since I’ve purchased a box – but I had a craving for some and went to the store this week to buy a box of regular vanilla with dark chocolate shell. But a part of me wanted the chocolate ice cream filling – I was on the fence about which type to buy.

So, imagine my delight when I found that my only option was to buy a combined flavor box with both chocolate and vanilla ice cream inside!  I was extremely excited and getting ready to post an update about how easy Dove made my decision.

Fast forward 10 minutes to arriving home and opening the box – I was craving a vanilla centered bar. I open the box and there is no way to tell which flavor is which.

That’s right – the packaging for both the chocolate and vanilla bars is EXACTLY THE SAME!  Perhaps there was some study the showed that people would eat more bars at a time (because presumably they would just keep opening and eating until they got the kind they wanted.) Or perhaps Dove was too cheap to buy different wrappers for the different kind of bars.

Either way, Dove, you’ve let me down.  When I reach into a box of ice cream treats I want to know which kind I’m getting.  What if I had had guests over and they requested a certain kind – should I just open and bite into each one? Obviously not.

I guess I will return to Magnum bars for the most delicious ice cream bars available.  If only they came in miniature…

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Pat April 27, 2015 at 5:52 pm

I agree with you totally..Am trying to find a way to contact Dove.

mary September 24, 2015 at 1:05 pm

I agree, there should be a brown or white wrapper,but worse than that is they no longer add the cherry ones to the assortment.

cee October 19, 2015 at 9:10 pm

If you lightly touch the top of the wrapper of each bar, you’ll feel 2 raised squiggles on the chocolate ones. Everyone kept wondering how I kept getting the chocolate ones! :)

Erin December 30, 2015 at 1:27 pm

I agree with Cee. The chocolate ones have extra chocolate raised squiggles on the top. If you feel each bar, you can learn the difference between the vanilla, which have no squiggles, and the chocolate. YUM.

Gerry June 29, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I contacted Mars and suggested that they make boxes of the Minis which are all Chocolate. I prefer the ones with Chocolate ice cream to the ones with Vanilla ice cream.

When I called them the customer service person said he would forward my request to the Marketing Department but I still can’t find any boxes containing chocolate ice cream only. Guess my suggestion found its way into the round file in the corner of the Marketing Offices!!

Dad July 25, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Cee is correct. My son figured this out as well and he’s 8. He saved the household from eating twice the amount of ice cream just by running his fingers across the top of the wrapper (much to my disappointment because I quite liked being the trial and error tester) – Dad

Diane August 10, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Good to know about the squiggle! Should I tell my family the secret?!! Lol. I also want to voice my disappointment re: no CHERRY ones any more!!!!! I loved them!!

Natalie bryer December 10, 2016 at 9:41 am

I miss the cherry.they were always my favorite

PSPam April 20, 2017 at 2:45 am

I was out googling for a way to write Dove about these mini ice cream bites and ran across your post. I prefer the chocolate but bought the assorted thinking I could tolerate 7 vanilla ones to get 7 chocolate ones. Much to my dismay – the box had 11 vanilla ones and only THREE CHOCOLATE ONES! I would have thought they would have had an equal amount. I hate to go back to buying bigger more expensive (usually only 3 to a box) bars just to get chocolate ice cream covered in dark chocolate but I can only tolerate so many vanilla’s. Geez louise DOVE. Wake up and fix some things!!