Well, I finally found it: Outstanding plain chocolate ice cream. Haagen Dazs’ new “reserve” line has produced at least one amazing flavor: Amazon Valley Chocolate. This ice cream is very very chocolatey. (It’s more of a dark chocolate than a milk chocolate.) It’s smooth and it’s rich. It’s so rich that it’s actually difficult to eat a lot in one sitting (which is probably good since it’s not the healthiest ice cream.) One of the scoops I had before finishing the pint I drizzled with melted peanut butter– I would highly recommend this. But, this ice cream doesn’t need the peanut butter to taste good. It is wonderful on it’s own. Go out and buy some before they discontinue it, trust me. (Hopefully they won’t discontinue it, but if it’s truly good amazon cocoa bean they use, then it could run out.)
- Flavor: 5
- Flavor Intensity: 4.5
- Texture: 5
- Originality: 3
- Overall: 5
- Cost: $3 on sale at Safeway
I was in Chicago a few weeks ago visiting my grandparents, and we went to a wonderful French restaurant, Marche, for dinner one night. Several people got some sort of ice cream with or for their dessert and I tasted them all. My favorites were the chocolate-peanut butter and the mint chocolate chip. The chocolate peanut butter had swirls of rich peanut butter in it and the mint chocolate chip was very very crisp and refreshing with fresh mint. The plain chocolate was kind of bland and the butter pecan was decent. If you get a chance to visit Marche, try the chocolate peanut butter ice cream. You won’t regret it.
Haagen Dazs is having a free scoop day tomorrow, May 15 of two of their new flavors. Find a shop near you. Unfortunately, there’s not one close to me so I won’t be making it out.
Recently I’ve been asked by a number of people what my favorite ice cream is. I can never seem to list an absolute favorite, but here are my 5 favorite ice creams.
- Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia. I can’t think of an ice cream that I enjoy more than Cherry Garcia. There’s just something about it that I absolutely love.
- Oreo at Sebastian Joe’s in Minneapolis, MN. This ice cream is hands down the best Oreo ice cream I’ve ever eaten. I doubt if I will ever find an Oreo ice cream that’s more flavorful and rich than this one is. If you get a chance to visit Minneapolis (especially during the summer) head over to Sebastian Joe’s get a scoop of Oreo and walk around the lakes.
- Homemade Easy Cocoa chocolate ice cream. I adore chocolate, yet somehow most chocolate ice creams don’t live up to my expectations. This ice cream recipe is incredibly easy to make and buying the incredibly is cheaper than buying a carton.
- Brown Bread Ice Cream at Murphy’s Ice Cream in Dingle, Ireland. Brown Bread ice cream is extremely unique and wonderful. Plus, I have fond memories of wondering the streets of Dingle, one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been.
- Haagen Dazs Vanilla Bean. Everyone needs a favorite vanilla; Breyer’s “all natural” vanilla was mine for a long time, until they started adding Tara Gum. Now, I choose the more fattening, but actually all natural, Haagen Dazs vanilla bean.
This post was published in conjunction with Problogger’s “Top 5″ group writing project. Check it out for other list’s of top 5′s.